Not everything that gets submitted to us gets posted, and there’s a lot of reasons why. Some of the most common are:
- Subject isn’t fat. We understand that this might be the heaviest person you’ve ever drawn, but they still might not be actually fat. Who is and isn’t fat is a bit subjective, and we tend to be fairly lenient with what we allow, but some art is very obviously of a thin person, and that’s not gonna fly here.
- Subject is a self portrait of someone who didn’t submit the image themselves. Listen, we know “fat” isn’t an insult or a negative thing, but individual people are at different parts of their personal emotional journey, and if they aren’t explicitly identifying as fat, we aren’t gonna push them. If you’re submitting a self portrait of yourself, then by all means, we’ll post it.
- Image seems to be fetishizing. While we have a lot of nude and erotic art of fat people here, we want it to be respectful and not dehumanizing. Again, this can be subjective, and up to moderators’ judgement, but a lot of it is very clearly fetishizing and dehumanizing and won’t show up here.
- You’ve submitted too much. While we don’t want to discourage submissions, we want to have a variety from a bunch of different people. If you submit a whole bunch at a time, we won’t delete the posts, but we’ll save some for later.
- The link you submitted is broken. This happens a lot, and makes us sad.
- We’re all aware of Hilda, and we love her, and we’ve shared a lot of her already.
And there’s also the fact that we’re more or less a visual art blog, and don’t publish much in the way of essays or articles, very little poetry and very little photography. The lack of photography is not so much a rule as it is not wanting to end up being overwhelmed by selfies and ootd posts. There are lots of other good blogs for that. We’re focused on things with artistic intent, featuring fat people.
Some stuff still slips through the cracks and disappears, or gets accidentally deleted. Sometimes bad stuff makes it through and we apologize for that, too. If something of yours didn’t make it, you can always try resubmitting. And hey, y’all should submit more anyway! Things have been a bit slow lately.